Maasberg Logo
Title
Kulturlandschaft
vSpacer
Trithemius

Bingen at the mouth of the Nahe into the Rhine

The city of Bingen, at the junction of the Rhine and the Nahe, came into being as a strategically important Roman garrison on the Roman road "Via Ausonia" which led from Mainz to Trier. The city is situated there where the road rose up into the Hunsrück. It was at this place on the northern banks of the Nahe, that the Benedictine Hildegard von Bingen (1098-1179) founded her cloister upon the grave of the holy Rupertus. It is remarkable to note that in her "Physica", Hildegard von Bingen includes more than 250 plants and many folk remedies and "natural" medicinal methods of treatment.

On a distinct hill in the midst of the city lies the medieval Klopp castle offering a beautiful outlook over the mouth of the Nahe into the Rhine. Klopp castle with its historic museum, together with the Mäuseturm ("Mice Tower"), at the narrows of the Rhine (the "loch" of Bingen) and the late gothic Basilica of St. Martin (first recorded in 793) represent the landmarks of the city.

Photo: Kloppberg Hill above Bingen with the medieval Klopp Castle, from where you have a magnificent view of the Rhine, the mouth of the Nahe, and the Rupertsberg.

vSpacer
Bingen with its medieval «Burg Klopp» castle (Nahe Valley)
footSpacer
[ Mail an Webmaster ] Axel.Stassen@maasberg-therme.de