Maasberg Logo

The ruins of Castle Balduinseck

A walk worth taking leads from Kastellaun over the village of Bell and along Wohnroth Stream to the ruins of Castle Balduinseck, which lies hidden in a deeply cut, narrow valley. This mighty edifice was erected in the year 1325 by Archbishop Balduin of Trier as a border defense against the County of Sponheim. Rauschenburg Castle, from the year 1332 a few kilometers further north near Mermuth above the Ehrbachklamm Gorge, had a similar function. Unlike most castles in the region, Balduinseck was never destroyed by enemy troops, but rather became dilapidated over time, after which it no longer had any function and was abandoned. Consequently, it is still possible for visitors to divine something about the home comforts of that time. In fact the palace, with lateral lengths of 22 and 14 meters, has remarkable proportions, with several floors that were conveniently reached by a spiral staircase. Smoothly plastered walls, as well as fireplaces on all floors, provided a comfortable ambiance in the boudoirs. On the other hand, the mighty outer walls also allowed for a longer defense.

Ruins of Castle Balduinseck near Kastellaun («Soonwald» Forest)
[ Mail an Webmaster ]